Friday, April 26, 2013

California Here I Come

I woke up this morning in Winamucca NV and went right back to sleep! Just kidding, but there isn't much there. As we pulled into Reno, the conductor came over the loudspeaker and reminded people that it was only a 10 minute stop. He said almost every week someone misses the train because they run upstairs to try and win some money. He gave this whole speech about resisting temptation. It was hilarious. Today at lunch, I got to dine with the Amish family. They are such nice people and I really connected with them. The young man's name is Melvin and I'll ask you again to pray for him and his family. That God will give the strength and courage, comfort and peace, everything they need for this horrible journey ahead. Also, pray for wisdom for the doctor in Mexico that they are going to see. The tumor in Melvin's head is the size of an orange. Because of where it is located, the doctor was amazed he is still able to function. They asked for my phone number and promised to call me with an update, so I can keep you posted too.
They were really enjoying the train. This is the first trip any of them has taken out of Pennsylvania. They were amazed at the beauty of the landscape. They went to the top of the Sears Tower in Chicago and the little boy was amazed!. It was really fun to view things through their eyes.
I learned a lot about the Amish people that I didn't know. I didn't think they used telephones, but they do. They use cell phones too. I thought they wore only homemade clothes, but they buy them and a couple of them were wearing Crocs today. I didn't think they drank soda, but they were slurping it down.
My cousin Karen, the van babysitter :) picked me up at the train station this afternoon and it was back to Citrus Heights /Roseville for more visiting. We went to dinner at the Macaroni Grill and it was really good...another one to add to my list of favorites! This area has all my favorite chains... Jamba Juice, Cheesecake Factory, Claim Jumper, Outback Steakhouse, Chipotle, Baja Fresh, Chevy's, Olive Garden and now Macaroni Grill. They also have Elephant Bar. If I lived here, I would probably weigh an additional 100 pounds!
It has been over 3 weeks since I had a truly good nights sleep, so I have high hopes tonight!

No comments: