Thursday, April 25, 2013

Rocky Mountain Headache

Yesterday when we boarded the train for California, there was this really cute Amish family of 9 that also boarded. I don't know where they are headed, but they are still on the train. I thought I was going to have another gloomy trip all the way back to Cali, but the sun broke through in Iowa. It rained pretty hard during the night for a while, but we awoke to beautiful weather in Denver.
So, I finally caught up...I'm posting in real time now. Forget Rocky Mountain High, I have a Rocky Mountain Headache (and I can feel another nosebleed coming on). Oh we'll, it's worth to experience the incredible scenery! It snowed since I was last here, so it is even "more better". We are following the Colorado River now and it is surrounded by snow. We reach Utah later this afternoon and then, thankfully, Nevada in the middle of the night. Sorry, but ain't nothin' to see in Eastern Nevada!
If you ever have time and you are NOT in a hurry, take the California Zephyr from Sacramento to at least Denver, if not all the way to Chicago. Although, keep in mind that Chicago is not only the Windy City, but the stinking cold city too! I tried to go out and see what the city had to offer, but after 2 blocks I was so frozen, I had to return to the station. I didn't bring any winter clothes on this trip.

Here is a late night update...
I found out the Amish group are on their way to Mexico. The son, a young married guy with 3 small children has a brain tumor and the doctors here said there is nothing more they can do. So sad! Please pray for this family, they have a long road ahead.
The other thing I wanted to mention is the way fishermen in Utah and Colorado greet those of us on the train. In Utah, they flip us off every time we go by. In Colorado, the bare their butt's. I have a friend who says the Amtrak employees refer to it as "Moon River".  I find both of these to be a rather odd greeting. You have to wonder what goes through people's minds.

No comments: