Wednesday, April 24, 2013

On the Rail Again

Back on the train again and having lunch with a very couple from Coco Village Fl. They are big Disney fans too and he collects trading pins, so we had lots to talk about. They are also Christian, so it was nice to say grace together before our meal. We traveled all the way to NYC together on the Silver Meteor and I stuck with them until we found baggage claim for them and the Acela Lounge for me. I stored my bags at Acela and headed for the exit from Penn Station. Wow! The moment I stepped outside, I had that "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore" reaction! NYC is amazing...I was a little overwhelmed, nervous, and excited all at the same time. I walked up 7th Ave. towards Time Square with the hundreds of other people headed the same direction. I have visited many large cities, but this was the first time I felt like a stupid hick. I was so out of my element! I was overcast and freezing cold, but there was an excitement and energy in the air that totally surrounded me. Time Square is really cool. I spent some time wondering around there. I saw a bunch of the theaters and would have loved to catch a matinee, but there were none available that day. On my way back to the station, I went shopping at Macy's. That place is huge...and a madhouse! My short time in NYC was very exciting and I can't wait to go back when I have more time! Now I know why love that city.

That afternoon found me on another train, the Lakeshore Limited, headed for Chicago. This train is really cool because it follows the Hudson River for a long time and goes around the lakes. I will wake up in the morning with just enough time to eat before arriving in Chicago. I have a 3 hour lay-over there, so we'll see what I accomplish in that city.

No comments: